ndis no longer detects netgear wg311v2

Phil Bowens thermonite at gmail.com
Fri Jul 1 12:45:47 GMT 2005

FWIW, I am having the *exact* same problem starting today.  I hadn't
updated my STABLE machine since April. NDIS was working fine (save a
frew crashes) before I updated last night.. and now NDIS will not even
talk about the card. There is also a slight freeze on the machine
after the if_ndis module is loaded.

I will do some more investigating, but now there's at least two of us.
Did you ever find a fix?

On 6/19/05, Evan Dower <evantd at yahoo.com> wrote:
> I recently moved, and for some reason my computer started crashing
> when I tried to make it associate with my new wireless network. (It
> worked fine on the old wireless network.) I figured the first thing I
> should do to fix the problem is update my sources, since it may have
> already been fixed. Unfortunately the updated sources don't recognize
> my wireless card at all.
>
> Before the update (hand-transcribed):
> # uname -a
> FreeBSD lojak.washington.edu 5.4-PRERELEASE FreeBSD 5.4-PRERELEASE #0:
> Sat Apr  2 11:50:53 PST 2005
> root at lojak.washington.edu:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/CUSTOM  i386
> # kldload FwRad16.bin.ko
> # kldload ndis
> # kldload if_ndis
> ndis0: <NETGEAR WG311v2 802.11g Wireless PCI Adapter> mem 0xfb020000-0xfb03ffff,0xfb040000-0xfb041fff irq 16 at device 4.0 on pci2
> ndis0: NDIS API version: 5.1
> ndis0: Ethernet address: 00:09:5b:ba:da:ef
> ndis0: 11b rates: 1Mbps 2Mbps 5.5Mbps 11Mbps
> ndis0: 11g rates:  6Mbps 9Mbps 12Mbps 18Mbps 24Mbps 36Mbps 48Mbps 54Mbps
> # ifconfig ndis0
> ndis0: flags=8802<BROADCAST,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
>         ether 00:09:5b:da:ef
>         media: IEEE 802.11 Wireless Ethernet autoselect
>         status: no carrier
>         ssid ""
>         channel -1 authmode OPEN powersavemode OFF powersavesleep 100
>         rtsthreshold 2312 protmode CTS
>         wepmode OFF weptxkey 1
> # wicontrol ndis0 -l
> 0 stations:
> # ifconfig ndis0 ssid "The Penthouse" channel 11 up
> ndis0: link up
> # dhclient ndis0
> ndis0: link up
> <<< I can't see the whole panic screen, but here's the bottom: >>>
> panic: page fault
> cpuid = 0
> boot() called on cpu#0
> Uptime: 11m20s
> Dumping 1023 MB

> cpuid = 1; apic id = 01
> fault virtual address    = 0x0
> fault code               = supervisor read, page not present
> intruction pointer       = 0x8:0x0
> stack pointer            = 0x10:0xe4e1fcec
> frame pointer            = 0x10:0xe4e1fd0c
> code segment             = base 0x0, limit 0xfffff, type 0x1b
>                          = DPL 0, pres 1, def32 1, gran 1
> processor eflags         = interrupt enabled, resume, IOPL = 0
> current process          = 5 (thread taskq)
> trap number              = 12
>

> I can work on getting the crash dump if that's useful, but the
> behavior seems to have changed in the last couple of months. Now I
> get:
> # uname -a
> FreeBSD lojak.washington.edu 5.4-STABLE FreeBSD 5.4-STABLE #0: Sat Jun
> 14:20:40 PDT 2005
> root at lojak.washington.edu:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/CUSTOM  i386
> # kldload FwRad16.bin.ko
> # kldload ndis
> [...]

Phil Bowens

He who is the greatest of warriors overcomes and subdues himself.