Use loader to load kernel.gz and mfsroot.gz in ext2 filesystem?

Oliver Fromme olli at lurza.secnetix.de
Wed Jan 26 06:27:49 PST 2005

?? ?? <ppmmssgg at hotmail.com> wrote:
 > I put loader,kernel.gz and mfsroot.gz in an ext2(dos) file system on
 > harddisk,and hope to directly use grub or use grub and loader(or other
 > means?) to boot the system.
 >
 > When I use grub to transfer loader,I find it(freebsd loader) can't read
 > files in ext2(dos) file system,and when i use grub 0.93 of redhat 9.0 to
 > directly load mfsroot.gz by "initrd /mfsroot.gz",it fails with "linux
 > kernel must be loaded before initrd".
 >
 > My goal is to put install.cfg,freebsd kernel and mfsroot on harddisk,then
 > boot from harddisk into freebsd,and install it from original freebsd cd.

Why are you trying to use ext2fs (or msdosfs)?  Is there a
reason why you cannot use UFS?  I suggest you use UFS.
There's no need to use GRUB at all.

I also wonder why you don't boot the installation from CD
in the first place.  Since you use a CD anyway ...

Best regards
   Oliver

"Clear perl code is better than unclear awk code; but NOTHING
comes close to unclear perl code"  (taken from comp.lang.awk FAQ)