5.3-RELEASE crashes during make buildworld (and other problems)

Rick Updegrove rick at updegrove.net
Mon Jan 10 21:42:20 PST 2005

Hi all,

This machine runs 4.11-STABLE just fine.  I can make buildworld all day.
  Before that it ran Win2k for many months with no problems.  For these
reasons, I do not suspect hardware at this point.

When I install 5.3-RELEASE it runs fine until...

When I attempt to cvsup to STABLE and run make buildworld (yes with and
without the -j) it crashes.

I am very bad at kernel debugging because FreeBSD 4 has (almost) always
been perfectly stable so I have read and re-read the handbook and I am
trying to get more information to the list.

So far in rc.conf I added:

dumpdev="/dev/ad0s1b"
DUMPDIR="/usr/crash"

Then I
chmod 700 /usr/crash

Then in /boot/loader.conf I added

verbose_loading="YES"
boot_verbose="YES"

Does this look reasonable?

What else should I do?

Meanwhile, I started the make buildworld again (right where it left off)
and I am waiting for it to crash.

You can find the dmesg and anything else I find at
http://rick.updegrove.net/FreeBSD/jan-10-2005/

*UPDATE*
While I was writing this the make buildworld failed and left me some
details which I put into a file named gcc-error-1 file at
http://rick.updegrove.net/FreeBSD/jan-10-2005/gcc-error-1

Then I rebooted and went into X and soon I got
http://rick.updegrove.net/FreeBSD/jan-10-2005/panic_kdeinit.txt

There is nothing in /usr/crash/

I cant find any files name vmcore anywhere.

I noticed that on the new 5.3-RELEASE SYSTEM if I do not have a
half-failed "make buildworld" I can install packages with pkg_add -r
whatever all day long and the machine (and KDE) runs fine.

Thanks,

Rick