dump dumping core

Mark Knight markk at knigma.org
Tue Jan 4 12:51:57 PST 2005

In message <IB1XwOsi1b2BFweI at lap.knigma.org>, Mark Knight
<markk at knigma.org> writes
>With RELENG_5 from yesterday, as well from a week or so ago I'm finding
>that dump is failing.  Must admit, this is the first time I've tried to
>run a backup since migrating from RELENG_4 to RELENG_5.
>
>fsck -f / marks the file system as clean.
>
>Any ideas?
>
>root at shrewd# dump -0a -b 512 -f - / > /dev/null

The -b 512 (or other large values), seems to be the key to making it
crash (on various inodes).  Sometimes the error is "master/slave
protocol botched" instead.

Until I find the cause, the workaround of "don't do that then" seems
appropriate.  At least it wasn't fs corruption ;)
Mark A. R. Knight                               finger: markk at knigma.org
Tel: +44 7973 410732                            http://www.knigma.org/