ICH6 ID'd correctly now, but breaks in 5.4-STABLE?

J. T. Farmer jfarmer at goldsword.com
Sat Aug 27 22:24:03 GMT 2005

Vlad GALU wrote:

>On 8/27/05, J. T. Farmer <jfarmer at goldsword.com> wrote:
>[snip]
>
>   It did the job for me. jhb commited the patch a couple of weeks
>after I submitted the PR. Don't blame either him or me for things
>going downhill, I assume that there were at least a few people running
>with similar configurations, which didn't complain after the commit. I
>now run RELENG_6 on the notebook, but for other reasons.

Which patch?  I have a 5.4-Stable system here cvsup'ed as of the 17th.
It does not have the mkIII patches in it.  Or at least it doesn't have
all the
patch kit.

Are you talking about the ICH6 id patch?  The point I'm TRYING to
get across, is that the problem is deeper than just one SATA controller.
There are core problems with the 5.4-RELEASE and the 5.4-STABLE
ata support.  Soren has thrown his hands up and said that he will
only support & help after the mkIII patches are installed.  In a way,
that's understandable.  He has a lot of his plate.  But when you make
yourself indispensable to such a key item, when it breaks, you're
sitting in the middle of the bullseye.

At to complaining, I've been complaining here about the fact that 5.4R
and 5.4-Stable are both broken for such mundane controllers as the
Via 8235 PATA chipset.  Yes, I can try the mkIII patches.  But I
_was_ about to pitch FreeBSD/KDE/etc. as an easy to install kit
for some local offices to get off Windows.  Since I can't tell them
to just install 5.4-Release CD's (the install kernel cannot reliably
write to the disk to newfs it...) I can't recommend it.

The message than I'm getting is that FreeBSD has become a toy
only for those who are willing to devote significant time to it.
No one is interested in making a  pleasant experience for
someone who doesn't want to spend hours/days/weeks trying
to find out why vanilla hardware, that is listed as supported,
does not work.  And that is the saddest part.

John