ICH6 ID'd correctly now, but breaks in 5.4-STABLE?

Karl Pielorz kpielorz at tdx.co.uk
Sat Aug 27 21:36:44 GMT 2005

--On 27 August 2005 16:33 -0400 "J. T. Farmer" <jfarmer at goldsword.com>
wrote:

>> ad0: FAILURE - READ_DMA status=51<READY,DSC,ERROR> error=4<ABORTED> LBA=0
>> acd0: DVDR <SONY DVD+/-RW DW-D56A/PDS7> at ata1-master PIO4
>

> That's because 5.4 is BROKEN.  Check the archives.  You will see a
> lot of us b&t#hing and whining about it.  Your original install was
> operating the controller in generic mode & using PIO and/or DMA33. ANY,
> repeat ANY attempt to use DMA other than that base mode will
> cause the errors you are seeing.

I guess I missed that one, as I was specifically looking for ICH6 issues
(hence found the PR, and a lot of chat about ICH6 RAID support) and missed
all the rest :(

> Since there is NO support for the current ATA driver(1), the only
> recourse we have been given is to try using Soren's Beta ATA MkIII
> patches OR jump to a beta release of 6.0.  So, I suggest that you try
> that.

I can't run 6.0 on it - I might see if there's a way of forcing the system
to pick the generic/DMA33 driver it was using before, or check the patches
out. Failing that, I guess it's back to 5.4-R for me :(

Thanks for the info,

-Karl