A problem with ntop after upgrading from 5.3 to stable

Scot Hetzel swhetzel at gmail.com
Fri Aug 26 19:21:25 GMT 2005

On 8/26/05, Kurt Buff <KBuff at zetron.com> wrote:
> > Your pkg_add command used a version of the port that was meant for
> > FreeBSD 6.x or 7.0-CURRENT.  You'll need to compile your own version,
> > or get the package for 5-stable.
> >
> > Scot
>
> OK, well mark me a just a tad confused. Why then, when I used
>
>        'pkg_add -r ntop'
>
> did the message:
>
> 'Fetching
> ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/i386/packages-5-stable/Latest/ntop.t
> bz... Done.'
>
> show on my screen? Forgive my ignorance, but that seems to indicate that
> it's using a package built for 5. Am I wrong?

It got the file from the right place, but apparently the build system
for 5-STABLE is broken, as libpthread.so.2 doesn't appear until
RELENG_6.

> However, per your thoughts, I did the 'make deinstall' and 'make install'.
> Not happy. Gives message:
>
> 'ntop-3.1_1 is marked as broken: Does not build with XML dump support.'

You may have to do:

make clean
make rmconfig
make install

and don't check 'XML dump support'.

--
DISCLAIMER:
No electrons were mamed while sending this message. Only slightly bruised.