A problem with ntop after upgrading from 5.3 to stable

Kurt Buff KBuff at zetron.com
Fri Aug 26 18:25:04 GMT 2005

Forgive me, meant to send this to the list:

Scot Hetzel wrote:
> On 8/26/05, Kurt Buff <KBuff at zetron.com> wrote:
> > I did the ntop upgrade by doing a 'make deinstall' of 3.0,
> then a 'pkg_add
> > -r ntop', which reported success.
> >

> > Can someone point me in the right direction?
> >
> go to /usr/ports/net/ntop and do the following
>
> make deinstall
> make install
>
> Your pkg_add command used a version of the port that was meant for
> FreeBSD 6.x or 7.0-CURRENT.  You'll need to compile your own version,
> or get the package for 5-stable.
>
> Scot

OK, well mark me a just a tad confused. Why then, when I used

	'pkg_add -r ntop'

did the message:

'Fetching
ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/i386/packages-5-stable/Latest/ntop.t
bz... Done.'

show on my screen? Forgive my ignorance, but that seems to indicate that
it's using a package built for 5. Am I wrong?

However, per your thoughts, I did the 'make deinstall' and 'make install'.
Not happy. Gives message:

'ntop-3.1_1 is marked as broken: Does not build with XML dump support.'

I'm wondering if I should just grab the tarball from sourceforge, and have a
go at it.

Kurt