Installing 5.4-S on nvidia raid1?

Christian Brueffer chris at unixpages.org
Fri Aug 12 15:50:18 GMT 2005

On Thu, Aug 11, 2005 at 04:45:31PM -0700, Brandon Fosdick wrote:
> I have a DFI Lanparty nf4 Ultra-D with two 80GB drives configured as a
> raid1 array. The bios lists the array as scsi-0 and claims that its
> healthy. When I boot from the disc1 cd and try to do the usual install the
> only device options I'm given for fdisk are ad4 and ad6, which obviously
> aren't a scsi array. Just the be sure I ran dmesg in the holographic shell
> and it shows ad4 and ad6 as the two 80GB drives. So how do I install to the
> raid array?

It doesn't work because the ataraid code in 5.4 doesn't understand
the NVIDIA MediaShield metadata format.  It is supported on HEAD
and the RELENG_6 branch that will result in FreeBSD 6.0-RELEASE.

Take a look at the ataraid(4) manpage in HEAD and RELENG_6 for more
information on how software RAID works and which metadata formats
are supported.

- Christian

--
Christian Brueffer	chris at unixpages.org	brueffer at FreeBSD.org