VIA M1000 mini-itx system installation woes - WRITE_DMA error - cabling?

Bruce M Simpson bms at spc.org
Wed Apr 27 03:40:18 PDT 2005

On Wed, Apr 27, 2005 at 10:11:16AM +0200, Arjan Van Leeuwen wrote:
> After you've installed the system, insert that line into
> /boot/loader.conf, and load up "atacontrol mode 0 udma33 udma33" as
> early as possible during the boot (try using /etc/rc.early, for
> example) to get it up to speed again.

Some drives have firmware tweaks downloadable from the manufacturer which
can be used to force the drive to never negotiate a faster data rate than
UDMA33 (or whatever the cable you are using is capable of). I'm thinking
of Samsung in particular here.

However, I agree, this is *annoying*; I don't know of 80 + 4 conductor cables
for 2.5" ATA drives. If anyone knows of such things then please do let me
know, as I've had significant problems with a development system at work which
is Mini-ITX form factor based with a 2.5" drive.

Regards,
BMS