Will 5.4 be an "Extended Life" release?

Steve Ames steve at virtual-voodoo.com
Mon Apr 18 10:21:27 PDT 2005

----- Original Message -----
From: "Brett Glass" <brett at lariat.org>
> At 10:00 AM 4/18/2005, Steve Ames wrote:
>
> >> Perhaps. But then, all of the software that recognizes "official"
releases
> >> and does things like download ports, etc. won't work.
> >
> >It would recognize it as 4.11.
>
> Actually, it tends not to recognize it at all. If the string doesn't
> say "4.11-RELEASE", the software reports that ports, packages, etc.
> can't be found. Try installing packages with /stand/sysinstall on
> a snapshot and you'll see what I mean. Colin's "FreeBSD-update" seems
> to exhibit similar behavior.

Ah. Packages and /stand/sysinstall. Yeah. I haven't installed a package from
sysinstall in YEARS so I probably wouldn't have noticed that. Getting
security updates for packages using sysinstall is a total lose. cvsup and
portupgrade are my tools of choice... with a little portaudit thrown in to
let me know when I should update something. To use sysinstall you need
something approaching an actual release (with ports). I use sysinstall to
put a bare minium OS on a machine and then immediately switch to cvsup.

-Steve