virtual machines

Vlad GALU vladgalu at gmail.com
Tue Apr 12 03:09:38 PDT 2005

On Apr 12, 2005 10:05 AM, Nick Barnes <Nick.Barnes at pobox.com> wrote:
> I run FreeBSD as my main desktop, but occasionally have to develop,
> build, or test software on a variety of other x86 operating systems
> (mainly Windows NT 4, Windows XP Pro, and Red Hat Linux).  At the
> moment I have a row of mini-towers and a KVM switch.  I'd much rather
> run these other machines as virtual machines under FreeBSD.  Can
> anyone recommend virtualizing software for FreeBSD?  I don't mind
> having to pay, as long as it really works.
>
> I see that VMWare, for instance, is not supported on FreeBSD.
>
> I'm running 4.9-RELENG at the moment, but considering an upgrade to
> 5.x.

   Actually, VMware 3.2.1  works quite OK on 4.x. I run it on
5.4-STABLE as well, but with SMP, acpi and apic all turned off. It's
annoying, but it does the job.

> Nick Barnes

If it's there, and you can see it, it's real.
If it's not there, and you can see it, it's virtual.
If it's there, and you can't see it, it's transparent.
If it's not there, and you can't see it, you erased it.