Panic when logging out from serial console

Robert Watson rwatson at FreeBSD.org
Sun Apr 10 04:42:14 PDT 2005

On Sun, 10 Apr 2005 ltning at anduin.net wrote:

> warning: This report might be somewhat vague. For quite a while now I`ve
> been plagued with the problem that logging out from a serial console
> causes the box to panic. For a while I`ve been sure this was isolated to
> one of my boxen, because it`s been acting up in other ways as well, but
> today it happened on two other boxes too! And these boxes have been rock
> stable for the last two years.
>
> I`m running a fairly recent variation of RELENG-5 on all the boxes; one
> of them is amd64, the two others - including the one I`ve pasted from -
> are plain old p3 machines. They are all dual-CPU though.

I've seen precisely this panic -- in fact, I saw it yesterday on a
RELENG_5 box, and under identical circumstances -- it looks like it
happens if a last process in a login session on a serial console closes
the tty, and then getty re-opens it while there's console output coming
from syslog.  I was able to get a core dump, but haven't made much headway
on it yet.  It looks like the tty structure has been released -- the
refcount on the tty is 0, and the mutex pointers in the kqueue state have
been cleared (hence the null pointer dereference you see).  Now, the
question is why -- I've added some debugging output to the local box I saw
it on, and will see if I can reproduce it.

Robert N M Watson