Sound problem

Jon Noack noackjr at alumni.rice.edu
Thu Apr 7 07:11:38 PDT 2005

On 4/7/2005 5:32 AM, Warren wrote:
>>Why don't you post some more info about your system? For example: the
>>output of 'uname -a', the output of 'dmesg', the type of hardware that you
>>are using.
>>What does 'all of a sudden' mean? Did you upgrade something?
>>
>>I'm not telling that I can solve your problem, but other people need to
>>know these things before they can help.
>>
>>Ronald.
>
> FreeBSD 5.4-STABLE and all of a sudden means i cvsuped my ports/src and did
> installworld and buid kernel yesterday 6th April ... rebooted my machine and
> sound hasnt worked since.
>
> /dev/sndstat shows nothing
>
> in loader.conf i have:
> snd_via8233_load="YES"           # via8233
>
> kernel i have:  device  sound
>
> dmesg shows no errors at all and as previously said sound was working before
> the reboot.

> kldload: can't load snd_via8233.ko: Exec format error

You don't have to put "device sound" in your kernel config.  I use the
following in /boot/loader.conf:
sound_load="YES"
snd_es137x_load="YES"

I wonder if you are experiencing some weird interaction between using
snd_via8233 as a module and compiling device sound into the kernel.  Try
either compiling everything into the kernel or only using modules for sound.

Jon