Headless install with 5.X floppies not possible?

David Magda dmagda at ee.ryerson.ca
Sat Apr 2 08:46:46 PST 2005

On Apr 2, 2005, at 09:45, Ralph Hempel wrote:

> I haven't tried it with 5.x, but here's how I modify
> the CD to allow headless installs for 4.x
>
> <http://www.hempeldesigngroup.com/embedded/stories/
> bdgFreeBSDHeadless.html>

Wouldn't is be better to simply use the "-P" option instead of "-h"?
 From boot(8) on my FreeBSD 4.x system:

                      -P    probe the keyboard.  If no keyboard is
found, the
                            -D and -h options are automatically set.

The following is in the BUGS section of boot(8):

      Due to space constraints, the keyboard probe initiated by the -P
option
      is simply a test that the BIOS has detected an ``extended''
keyboard.  If
      an ``XT/AT'' keyboard (with no F11 and F12 keys, etc.) is
attached, the
      probe will fail.

This way if there's a keyboard, then there's presumably a screen, so
the 'regular' way of using the console will be used. If there's no
keyboard then serial console will be activated. This is how Sun
hardware works by default and it works quite well I find.

Are there any major issues with making this the default for x86 (and
amd64?) for future releases?