What is Stable

Pawel Malachowski pawmal-posting at freebsd.lublin.pl
Mon Aug 23 03:56:05 PDT 2004

On Mon, Aug 23, 2004 at 12:56:20AM -0400, Ken Smith wrote:

Hello,

> 5.x is not stable yet but we expect it will be after the 5.3 release.
[...]
> So, there will be an overlap of a few months where we have three
> active development branches.  At this point 6.X is current, 5.X
> is "in transition" between being current and stable

5.x is actually frozen, I mean, there is no development branch for 5.x.
There are some minor fixes being commited to HEAD, but they won't be in
RELENG_5 because of code freeze. Will these fixes be incorporated to
RELENG_5 after 5.3-RELEASE is out? 5.3R schedule says about October.
Isn't it increasing a risk of `fixed-in-current-long-time-ago-but-
-forgotten-MFC' hell? ;)
Wasn't it better to branch both RELENG_5 (open) and RELENG_5_3 (frozen)
and allow developers to put changes in RELENG_5 after playing in HEAD
as usual, without the need of waiting to October?

regards,
--
Paweł Małachowski