Using pam_ssh with gdm

Volker Stolz stolz at i2.informatik.rwth-aachen.de
Tue Oct 14 01:49:15 PDT 2003

Am 13. Oct 2003 um 16:56 CEST schrieb Joe Kelsey:
> first try, logging the following to syslog:
> Oct 13 07:24:30 zircon gdm[186]: Couldn't open session for joek
>
> Then, gdm resets and I reenter the password and passphrase.  The second
> time, I get in.  Apparantly, now ssh-agent has started, but pam_ssh did
> not pass along any authentication information, so I have to call ssh-add
> by hand to actually enter the key information.  This means that every
> time I log in, I have to type my password twice and my passphrase three
> times.

The first thing you're probably experiencing is this:
http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=bin/45669

Description
The pam_ssh module uses popen() to start an ssh-agent for the user during PAM
authentication. However, pclose() causes the pam-module to return an error if
somebody else already called waitpid(-1,...) because now pclose returns -1
and errno is set to ECHILD (observed with gdm who uses a whole bunch of processes).
--
http://www-i2.informatik.rwth-aachen.de/stolz/ *** PGP *** S/MIME
rage against the finite state machine