vinum performance

Jan L. Peterson jlp at peterson.ath.cx
Sun Mar 30 15:48:49 PST 2003

Just to shed some real-world light on this vinum benchmark discussion.
At a previous employer we had a few HP systems with hardware RAID
boards on them (AMI MegaRaid compatible boards, but some HP part
number... I can't remember exactly which).

On one system, which was in support of our web site (it stored
thousands of small files containing html text that would be referenced
in pretty much random order), we configured an HP RS12 (JBOD with 12
disks in it) on the AMI controller as a RAID 5 volume.  Performance was
excellent (this disk supported mostly reads... once a collection of
files had been uploaded, it was not modified).  Much better then with
the files on local disk, even.

On another system, where these files were created before being
uploaded, performance with RAID 5 was abysmal.  We ended up yanking the
AMI controller and using the on-board Symbios controller and using
vinum as RAID 0+1 (stripe each group of six disks, mirror one group to
the other group, each group on a separate physical controller -- the
Sym board had dual channels).  With this setup, performance was much
better.

So the upshot is, if you're doing a lot of writes, don't use RAID 5.
If you're doing a lot of reads, and you have hardware RAID 5 available,
it's probably a win.

	-jan-
--
Jan L. Peterson