vinum performance

Lukas Ertl l.ertl at univie.ac.at
Sun Mar 30 08:21:27 PST 2003

On Sun, 30 Mar 2003, Dag-Erling Smørgrav wrote:

> Lukas Ertl <l.ertl at univie.ac.at> writes:
> > I'm currently testing with prime stripe sizes, but it doesn't seem to
> > help. I additionally added "options AHC_ALLOW_MEMIO" to the kernel, and it
> > has raised write performance in the single-disk case (although I'm not
> > happy with that one either; I expected a disk on a U160 controller to pump
> > out more than ~65MB/s).
>
> Does the data sheet for your disk indicate that it can in fact write
> much faster than that?

Well, the HP/Compaq webpages are full of marketing speech wrt that, but
since these disks are U320 disks, they should perform better I think.

> The speed at which data is actually written to the media is much lower
> than the bus speed - the bus speed *has* to be higher to accomodate
> multiple devices.

Ok, that's reasonable.

best regards,
le

Lukas Ertl                             eMail: l.ertl at univie.ac.at
UNIX-Systemadministrator               Tel.:  (+43 1) 4277-14073
Zentraler Informatikdienst (ZID)       Fax.:  (+43 1) 4277-9140
der Universität Wien                   http://mailbox.univie.ac.at/~le/