Broadcom BCM5703X causing reboot? 4.8-RC2

Oliver Fromme olli at secnetix.de
Sun Mar 30 03:32:00 PST 2003

L. Jankok <lj at 2u2.nu> wrote:
 > I have said this different time on the list.
 > Use FreeBSD 4.7 Stable.

Thanks for the hint.

Just to make sure:  Are you saying that that particular bug
in the bge driver is fixed in RELENG_4_7?  That would be
very odd, because I expect such bug fixes to go into -stable,
and only critical security fixes into RELENG_4_7.

(BTW, searching the archive on the web didn't turn up anything.
Maybe I used the wrong keywords, or maybe the search function
fooled me; it doesn't seem very reliable.)

Regards
   Oliver

 > On Sat, Mar 29, 2003 at 01:20:07PM +0100, Oliver Fromme wrote:
 > :Jeff Behl <jeff at expertcity.com> wrote:
 > : > FreeBSD blade7-bc2.sjc 4.8-RC2 FreeBSD 4.8-RC2 #1: Wed Mar 26 20:17:42
 > : > GMT 2003
 > : >
 > : > i've had two reboots in the last 30 mins on a fairly heavly loaded web
 > : > server (apache).  the following immediately precedes both reboots (no
 > : > more messages after this):
 > : > [...]
 > : > any ideas or help?  these are the first blades we've put into production
 > : > (IBM bladecenter)...which isn't boding well at all for using the
 > : > remaining 14 blades.  the machines are only pumping out around 9Mb/s.
 > :
 > :I'm sorry, but I have to say that we seem to be suffering
 > :from the very same problem.  :-(
 > :
 > :We have a bunch of Compaq DL360G2 (about 20 of them) at a
 > :customer of ours, each of them has two Broadcom gigabit
 > :interfaces (bge0 and bge1).  There are spontaneous reboots
 > :when a machine is under high network load.  It seems to
 > :happen under 4.7-Release as well.
 > :
 > :This is a pretty critical issue for us, because we cannot
 > :easily replace those machines, nor can we plug in other
 > :gigabit cards (those are 1U servers and we need the two
 > :on-board interfaces).  The consequence would be that the
 > :OS might have to be changed, since we haven't experienced
 > :any reboots under Linux on a test machine so far.  :-(
 > :
 > :Any help is greatly appreciated.  I'm willing to assist in
 > :whatever way necessary to resolve this issue.

Encrypting transactions on the Internet is the equivalent of
arranging an armored car to deliver credit-card information
from someone living in a cardboard box to someone living on
a park bench.
       -- Eugene Spafford (computer scientist, Purdue Univ.)