Resolver Issues (non valid hostname characters)

Terry Lambert tlambert2 at mindspring.com
Wed Mar 26 08:24:07 PST 2003

David J Duchscher wrote:
> On Tuesday, March 25, 2003, at 09:32  PM, Terry Lambert wrote:
> > Actually, anyone who took the original ISC code, or the FreeBSD code,
> > will end up having problems.  Including AIX, Solaris, MacOS X.
>
> Unless they have modified the code which all the above OSes seem to
> have done since they do not show the behavior.

I would like to see a program, with source code, that can
determine, with 100% accuracy, whether or not "_" is allowed,
and prints out either:

	This system supports _, in violation of RFC-952.

Or:

	This system complies with RFC-952.

Then I would like to see the output of this program run on the
systems, other than Linux, which you claim violate RFC-952.  You
can include Linux, if you want, to, for comparison purposes.

> > You apply the maxim to each interface, seperately.  For example,
> > FreeBSD should not allow the configuration of host names with
> > "_" in them, but it should, perhaps, permit them to be looked up.
>
> I can agree with this statement.  Unfortunately, FreeBSD doesn't do this
> in many ways.  Example, you can set a hostname with a underscore in it.
> You can even use an underscore in the name in the host file and
> everything will work.  You just can't look up the name via DNS.

Sounds like you picked the wrong interfaces to want to have fixed.

8-).

-- Terry