Resolver Issues (non valid hostname characters)

Chris Pressey cpressey at catseye.mb.ca
Wed Mar 26 05:34:57 PST 2003

On Tue, 25 Mar 2003 22:51:44 -0600
David J Duchscher <daved at nostrum.com> wrote:

> I can't talk to some hosts on the internet because FreeBSD will not
> resolve the host name which over 99% of the host on the Internet will.
> I guess that just doesn't matter.
>
> DaveD

I don't get it.

If I run a non-standard web server, I wouldn't expect to be able to
serve web pages to standard user agents.

If I use a non-standard host name, why should I expect to be able to
be reached by standard resolvers?

i.e.  You can't talk to some hosts because their host name is broken.
The problem is on *their* end, just as if they were running a
gratuitously incompatible http server.  How is this FreeBSD's fault?

(I must admit I'm a little biased... I can't bring myself to seriously
believe that a host with an underscore in its name could possibly have
anything to offer that I'd be interested in...)

-Chris