FreeBSD 4.8 and instabilities with Buslogic SCSI drivers in VMWare

denon denon at denon.cx
Thu Dec 11 21:03:05 PST 2003

I agree with your analysis of the 4-year old driver, though it's funny to
say it's in a difficult to reproduce environment.  In all actuality, a
software-based system would be one of the most controlled environments
available, removing all variables of heat, flakey hardware, etc, and
abstracting them from the hardware layer. VMware seems to be really robust,
when the OS plays nicely.  (unfortunately win2k under vmware seems to be
extremely robust, even under high loads .. what luck.)

This aside, I think you'll find that creating a FBSD 4.8 system in a
scsi-based vmware disk will reproduce it somewhat consistently. I've spoke
with several others having the same issue.

You'll also take note that I'm not the guy that said this place was dead. :)

Regards,

-d