kern/55094: Intel USB 2.0 unrecognized (partial patch provided)

Craig Boston craig at meoqu.gank.org
Fri Aug 8 21:55:21 PDT 2003

On Friday 08 August 2003 10:27 pm, Brent Casavant wrote:
> (EHCI doesn't appear in the NOTES file and I didn't think to make
> LINT until just a few minutes ago).

Ah, this is a FAQ that has bitten quite a few people (myself included).  In
-current, there are two NOTES files, one in sys/conf for machine-independent
options, and one in sys/i386/conf for i386-specific options.  Almost all of
the USB-related options are in the former.

> configured EHCI into the kernel all was well, and with your patch
> it works swimmingly since it's even identified precisely.
>
> So I for one can confirm that the patch you gave does indeed work.
> Now if only I had the cash to buy a USB device to plug into the PC...

Actually, I think it may not work after all.  I finally got my hands on that
board that uses a similar controller, and it gets detected just fine as the
Intel controller with the patch, or simply as a generic EHCI without it.
However, when I plug in a USB 2.0 device (1.x devices attach to the UHCI
instead), it promptly spits out "ehci0: unrecoverable error, controller
halted".  Then it disables the port and the device of course doesn't work :-(

I've been meaning to set aside some time to try to get some more useful
debugging information, but haven't gotten a good opportunity to do it yet.

Craig