Fwd: FreeBSD Sparc 11.0 RC1 Install Problem

Chris syseng at gfsys.co.uk
Sat Sep 10 16:11:28 UTC 2016

On 09/08/16 22:12, Marius Strobl wrote:

> It would be great if you could test whether a kernel built without
> vt(4) also experiences the boot hang after a reboot.
>
> Marius

Hi,

Thanks for the info. Digging a bit more into the reboot issue. The
system stops just after the "uhub2: 8 ports..." line. A few lines
prior to that we get: uhub2:<Acerlabs> EHCI etc, so copied the GENERIC
conf file, comment out the ehci line, rebuilt and the problem went away.
Tried a reboot from the command line 3 or 4 times and was ok in each
case. Not familiar enough with the system at this stage to debug it,
but ehci does seem connected in some way.

As for vt and sc, rebuilt the kernel with either vt or sc commented
out, -ehci and the system seems to boot okay in both cases.  Don't
know if it's connected with the ttyv* group, but they all show up in
the process list in both cases. Have left sc commented out for now.
Overall, it doesn't look like vt or sc are connected with the boot
issue.

The syscons questions were originally to do with Xorg logs, where
the log complained about not being able to find a console. Trying to
get X running with the dummy frame buffer, as part of a saga to get
Xvnc working, so I could have a graphical login. Xvnc is installed,
running via inetd and at the stage where a client can connect,
but produces a blank grey screen at the client. Xvnc has it's own X
server, but no info on how that connects to and runs apps, which it
isn't doing at present. Conflicting info on the web, but Xvnc
originally came from RealVnc and have a paid for license for their
pc client, so may get in touch with them to see if they have any
ideas.

Anyway, now have a copy of the McKusick et al FreeBSD design book. S/h
copy for 12 ukp delivered, so have no more excuse :-). Vol 2 of the
FreebSD handbook also coming soon...

Chris