disk block failing on root disk on sun blade 1000

Kurt Lidl lidl at pix.net
Wed May 29 13:49:01 UTC 2013

On 5/29/13 9:35 AM, Riccardo Veraldi wrote:
> On 5/24/13 9:22 PM, Joerg Wunsch wrote:
>> As fddi wrote:
>>
>>> so my question is how can I backup the rootfs and restore it with its
>>> boot block when I replace the root disk partition with a brand new
>>> disk ?
>> sunlabel da0 > /tmp/label
>> sunlabel -Bw da1 /tmp/label
>>
>> should work, IMHO.
>>
>> Afterwards, create and mount the filesystem, and dump | restore.
> Hello,
> I could be succesful copying the damage disk content to a new disk with
>
> dd bs=512 conf=noerror,sync if=/dev/da6 of=/dev/da5
>

> da5 is the new disk and it is an extarnal cabinet disc 80 PIN SCSI SCA
>
> then I did
>
> sunlabel da6 > /tmp/label
> sunlabel -R da5 /tmp/label
>
> everything went perfect.
>
> I took the new disk out form cabinet and I open my Sun Blade 1000 to
> replace the boot disk...
> what a surprise!!!
>
> the 80 PIN SCA interface won't fit in the internal socket!!
>
> the inside boot disk socket is different I do not know even the name of
> the socket SCSI  interface...
>
> what kind of SCSI disk should I look for to replace the internal sun
> blade 1000 disks ?

According to the "Sun Blade 1000 Service Manual"
(http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E19127-01/blade2000.ws/805-4496-10/805-4496-10.pdf)
on page "C-30", what it uses is a
FC-AL (fiber channel arbitrated loop) attachment for the
two internal drives.

There are lots of used drives available on Ebay.

Good luck.

-Kurt