mount usb flash drive - files inconsistent with amd64

Joerg Wunsch j at uriah.heep.sax.de
Fri Sep 23 13:40:33 UTC 2011

As Anton Shterenlikht wrote:

> > On the Sparc, are you sure you
> > actually enabled fdisk partitions?
>
> I've no idea I had to do this, so I guess no.
> Where can I read more about enabling fdisk partitions on sparc?

I had to boot my Sparc machine to find out. ;-)

Try "kldload geom_mbr".  Unlike on the AMD64, this is probably not
part of a standard kernel on FreeBSD/sparc64.

> I need this usb stick to be recognised by Windows systems,
> so I guess I have to format is with fdisk first?

Well, it's already got an fdisk slice table, as you can see on the
AMD64 machine.  You just have to make sure that the UFS access did not
already corrupt something in the FAT filesystem.  It's probably best
to start over with a fresh "newfs_msdos /dev/da0s1", I think.

> I definitely haven't done it manually. So I guess when I wrote data
> on it on a Windows system, the FAT slice was created by Windows.
> Is this likely?

Yes, it is.  The only question is where (and why) you UFS formatted
it on the Sparc.