mount usb flash drive - files inconsistent with amd64

Anton Shterenlikht mexas at bristol.ac.uk
Fri Sep 23 13:29:00 UTC 2011

On Fri, Sep 23, 2011 at 03:10:52PM +0200, Joerg Wunsch wrote:
> As Anton Shterenlikht wrote:
>
> > What's going on?
> > Is this expected?
> > Or has this flash drive got corrupted somehow?
>
> My guess is that you've mixed two filesystems on it, a UFS on the
> entire stick, and a FAT fs on a slice.  The AMD64 cannot mount the UFS
> because of the reverse byte order.  On the Sparc, are you sure you
> actually enabled fdisk partitions?

I've no idea I had to do this, so I guess no.
Where can I read more about enabling fdisk partitions on sparc?

I need this usb stick to be recognised by Windows systems,
so I guess I have to format is with fdisk first?
I definitely haven't done it manually. So I guess when I wrote data
on it on a Windows system, the FAT slice was created by Windows.
Is this likely?

Many thanks

--
Anton Shterenlikht