trying to configure Xorg on a sparc laptop runing FreeBSD 8.0

Super Bisquit superbisquit at gmail.com
Thu Dec 16 17:19:30 UTC 2010

On Thu, Dec 16, 2010 at 11:54 AM, Marius Strobl
<marius at alchemy.franken.de>wrote:

> On Wed, Dec 01, 2010 at 09:24:01AM +0100, A. Samer wrote:
> > I am trying to configure Xorg on a sparc laptop runing  FreeBSD 8.0, and
> > have some problems with the display , i get it splitted in 4 parts, like
> > mirror   . I am sure that someone   found a solution to this issue.
> Would
> > you mind to give me some help  ?
> > *
> > Due to the limited size of this message, i suggest to  follow this link
> > my personnal blog for more details *
> >

> http://linuxisnotunix.blogspot.com/2010/12/trying-to-configure-xorg-on-sparc.html
>
> Assuming the resolution of the display is configured correctly the
> only thing I can think of is the x.org ati driver using the wrong
> reference frequency, which it is know to not detect (correctly) on
> sparc64 (actually with no BIOS for the graphics chip present). One
> can set it manually by putting:
> Option "reference_clock" "28.636 MHz"
> into the respective 'Device' section of xorg.conf. A value used by
> some other chips is 29.5 MHz.
> If that doesn't make a difference you probably should try a newer
> version of the driver by manually updating the port.
>
> Marius

http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/gentoo-sparc-faq.xml.

Use that. You need to set the video output device and then the resolution.
Check devices with obdiag and choose test-all.
Exit then > setenv ouput-device /path to card then setenv ouput-device
screen:rWxHxfrequency.
After this, you'll get an xorg.conf and you can check /var/log/Xorg.0.log
for whatever frequencies are scanned.
Your next problem will be keeping Xorg from loading unnecessary modules. I
don't know a way around that yet.