trying to configure Xorg on a sparc laptop runing FreeBSD 8.0

Marius Strobl marius at alchemy.franken.de
Thu Dec 16 16:54:50 UTC 2010

On Wed, Dec 01, 2010 at 09:24:01AM +0100, A. Samer wrote:
> I am trying to configure Xorg on a sparc laptop runing  FreeBSD 8.0, and i
> have some problems with the display , i get it splitted in 4 parts, like a
> mirror   . I am sure that someone   found a solution to this issue.   Would
> you mind to give me some help  ?
> *
> Due to the limited size of this message, i suggest to  follow this link to
> my personnal blog for more details *
>
> http://linuxisnotunix.blogspot.com/2010/12/trying-to-configure-xorg-on-sparc.html

Assuming the resolution of the display is configured correctly the
only thing I can think of is the x.org ati driver using the wrong
reference frequency, which it is know to not detect (correctly) on
sparc64 (actually with no BIOS for the graphics chip present). One
can set it manually by putting:
Option "reference_clock" "28.636 MHz"
into the respective 'Device' section of xorg.conf. A value used by
some other chips is 29.5 MHz.
If that doesn't make a difference you probably should try a newer
version of the driver by manually updating the port.