sata pci cards in ultra 60 or blade 1000 (Update)

Marius Strobl marius at alchemy.franken.de
Fri Sep 18 12:44:28 UTC 2009

On Wed, Sep 16, 2009 at 03:28:25PM -0500, R J wrote:
> Hi Marius,
> I've been using the patched driver and have moved more than 500 gigs of
> data on the disk drive attached to the ata-marvell controller.
>
> Can you incorporate your patch into the 8.0 BETA and 7.X stable?
>
> It seems a very stable, well-performing driver.  It has worked flawlessly
> during the moves of enormous data backup and forth between the built in
> fibre-channel drives and the ata-marvell attached Hitachi drive.

I've updated the patch at
http://people.freebsd.org/~marius/ata-marvell.c.diff
slighlty based on feedback I got during review. Could
you please give the new version (which has an MD5 hash
of a56305fef5edb1d1510373b7e063aaab) a sanity check?
Some basic transfer should be sufficient to verify
it still works. If no new problem arises I'll commit
the patch to head, stable/8 and stable/7.

> I wish I could say the same thing regarding the Sil3512.  I still haven't
> been able to go any where with that.

AFAICT the "old" ata-siliconimage(4) suffers from the
same bugs as ata-marvell(4) does, i.e. isn't endian
clean and misses DMA synchronisation besides 64-bit
DMA being broken, but isn't as straight forward to
fix as ata-marvell(4) is. The new siis(4) doesn't
have these bugs though, so I'd expect it to work fine.
Have you talked to mav at freebsd.org regarding siis(4)?