24/48 CPU Fire 6800 / 12 CPU E4500

Marius Strobl marius at alchemy.franken.de
Tue Jan 20 14:02:29 PST 2009

On Mon, Jan 19, 2009 at 06:26:37PM -0600, Kevin Day wrote:

> I'm trying to save some cosmetically damaged Sun gear from being sold
> as scrap. The configurations are:
>

> Sun E4500
> 12x400MHz CPU
> 12GB RAM
>
> Sun Fire 6800
> 24x750MHZ (or possibly 48, they can't remember)
> 64GB RAM
>

> They're huge, but we have space in our datacenter for them if I can
> match their scrap value.
>
> I'm thinking they could be very interesting for people working in SMP
> or scheduler developers. Non-power-of-2 number of CPUs, large number
> of CPUs, huge memory, etc.
>
> I'd need to match the price they'd get for spare parts / scrap metal
> to take them(and somehow come up with that cash), but I'm happy to
> provide space/power/cooling/bandwidth/remote access if any of the
> sparc developers would actually use this.  Before I go too far down
> the road here, would any kernel hackers want a chance to bang on one
> of these? I could set up remote access.

Well, it would be interesting to get FreeBSD running on
the Fire 6800 but whether that's worth spending money
for such a machine and its hosting I'm not sure. In any
case it would be great if you could provide me with the
Open Firmware device tree dump of the Fire 6800, i.e. the
output obtained from running f.e. running `prtconf -pPv`
under Solaris.