24/48 CPU Fire 6800 / 12 CPU E4500

Kevin Day toasty at dragondata.com
Mon Jan 19 12:35:59 PST 2009

I'm trying to save some cosmetically damaged Sun gear from being sold
as scrap. The configurations are:

Sun E4500
12x400MHz CPU
12GB RAM

Sun Fire 6800
24x750MHZ (or possibly 48, they can't remember)
64GB RAM

They're huge, but we have space in our datacenter for them if I can
match their scrap value.

I'm thinking they could be very interesting for people working in SMP
or scheduler developers. Non-power-of-2 number of CPUs, large number
of CPUs, huge memory, etc.

I'd need to match the price they'd get for spare parts / scrap metal
to take them(and somehow come up with that cash), but I'm happy to
provide space/power/cooling/bandwidth/remote access if any of the
sparc developers would actually use this.  Before I go too far down
the road here, would any kernel hackers want a chance to bang on one
of these? I could set up remote access.

-- Kevin