netboot/install on sparc64

Mauro Calderara mcalderara at phys.ethz.ch
Mon Jun 16 13:21:26 UTC 2008

Hi everyone

I'm new to FreeBSD and sparc64 and am currently trying to install
FreeBSD on a few Netras 105 and Fire V120 Machines, all but one do not
have a CDROM drive. Searching for documentation I stumbled across this
document here:

http://www.freebsd.org/fr/relnotes/CURRENT/installation/sparc64/index.html

This actually helped a lot (thanks to the guy writing it). Rather than
8.0-Current, I'd like to install 7.0 but once the system booted,
that's no problem I guess, given that I have to do it without
sysinstall anyway. It's just that the files it refers to (all under ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/development/sparc64/)
  are currently unavailable.

Reading that one can use the ISO's loader instead, I tried my luck
with the loader from the 7.0 .iso and by loading the kernel over tftp
by hand I was able to boot it. After loading the kernel, the system
can't mount the nfs-root though and that I cannot specify by hand it
seems.

So does anyone either know how to deal with this or could someone re-
upload the files pointed to in the document? Namely these would be:

ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/development/sparc64/loader-tftp.gz
ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/development/sparc64/loader-nfs.gz
ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/development/sparc64/distrib.tar.gz

Maybe these are supposed to be built by the user anyway? If so, what
exactly is in distrib.tar.gz? After all, one machine does have a CDROM-
drive, so I can at least install one and build the files myself (maybe
I can, that is, never built the system myself). Or maybe there even
are such files around for 7.0 but I didn't find them?

Thanks for all pointers and help,
mauro