Sparc64 partitions compatible with PC? (Problem solved, sort of)

Didrik Madheden didrik at kth.se
Sat Jul 19 17:45:01 UTC 2008

So, I might've reached a solution of sorts. I've swore and torn my hair
while trying to get FBSD on the PC to detect my file system. So now I've
reinstalled FBSD on the Sparc, where I entered the values from my text
file, and instead of saying "Invalid parameter" or whatever it said
before, it now started fsck_ffs which finished without errors, and my
files seem to be intact, so everything is now fine and dandy.
I think I've given up the idea of trying to reuse the same fs, so I'm now
going to back up the data over FTP and create a whole new fs on the PC.
Among the many things I've done the last 24 hours I've tried a demo
version of some recovery software which asked me whether the partition I
was looking for was from an x86 or Sparc installation, suggesting there
might be differences, most probably endianness.
So I guess that's the end of this problem.

Oh, and thanks Miles for all the info, especially the response to my mini
rant about dd. And all other people as well of course.
Here's what I've learned today: (OpenBoot commands)

nvalias cdrom /pci at 1f,0/ide at cdrom@X,0:f
nvramrc (Don't know if this one is actually needed)
boot cdrom

Where X=0 for pri master up to 3 for sec slave. I always had this idea
that cdrom always pointed to an auto-detected cdrom drive. Even so I think
the drive that came with my box is a bit shaky.

/Didrik Madheden