Sparc64 partitions compatible with PC?

Miles Nordin carton at Ivy.NET
Sun Jul 20 11:19:23 UTC 2008

>>>>> "dm" == Didrik Madheden <didrik at kth.se> writes:

    dm> 2016 blocks too long.

possibly the command line tools like fdisk and bsdlabel will let you
enter with better resolution?  i don't know.

    dm> *Does it really matter? will FreeBSD perhaps compensate
    dm> for the offset and still work? How fuzzy is it?

It's not at all fuzzy.  The start of the partition has to be exactly
the same, down to the sector, as when the filesystem was created.  The
size of the partition has to be at least as big as when the filesystem
was created, but may harmlessly be bigger.  The geometry (cylinders
per disk, heads per cylinder, sectors per track) doesn't matter, only
the offset and size in sectors.

    dm> I suppose T for toggle newfs=N will do the job, but I'm
    dm> paranoid, so I want a second opinion.

second opinion is, don't use the installer at all.  Install onto
another disk, or use a livecd.  but it's just an opinion.

Remember not to make any extended MBR partitions, ever.

It may actually be a problem just to make an MBR partition with a BSD
label inside it, because the label could get written at the beginning
of the MBR slice, somewhere in the middle of your sparc partition.

#    size       offset
  a:   20972448          0
  b:    2097648      41612
  c:   54757584          0
  d:   20972448      20806
  e:  737378208      43693

^^^ this is a crazy disklabel with lots of overlapping partitions.
AFAICT it's not right.