cannot edit the sudoers file

Aijaz Baig aijaz.abaig at gmail.com
Sat Apr 5 08:35:56 UTC 2008

 Hello,

I am not able to edit the sudoers file even though I do have sudo installed
on the box. Theres been some confusion in my mind regarding what actually
happened when I tried to install sudo.

I did a *make install visudo* in the /usr/ports/securoty/sudo and I could
see a lot of information in the terminal and finally it gave the following
two messages:
" ===>   Compressing manual pages for sudo-1.6.9.14
===>   Registering installation for sudo-1.6.9.14
===> SECURITY REPORT:
      This port has installed the following binaries which execute with
      increased privileges.
/usr/local/bin/sudo
/usr/local/bin/sudoedit

      If there are vulnerabilities in these programs there may be a security
      risk to the system. FreeBSD makes no guarantee about the security of
      ports included in the Ports Collection. Please type 'make deinstall'
      to deinstall the port if this is a concern.

      For more information, and contact details about the security
      status of this software, see the following webpage:
http://www.courtesan.com/sudo/
make: don't know how to make visudo. Stop "

Now what is happening is that I can issue the sudo and the sudoedit commands
from the terminal as they are in my path. However I still do not understand
where to fetch the visudo wrapper from? Is it some kind of a scrip which is
to be run from the terminal or what?

AdditionallY I did all this as I wanted to have all my users access to the
'shutdown' command and for that i needed to edit the */usr/local/etc/sudoers
*file and even though I use the following command "sudo emacs
/usr/local/etc/sudoers" I am still not able to edit the file. I also tried
using *sudo chown root: /usr/local/etc/sudoers *but to no avail.

Could someone please help me.

Hope to hear from you soon,

Best Regards,
Aijaz.