freebsd-update/sparc64 and buildworld statistics

Christian Baer christian.baer at uni-dortmund.de
Mon Feb 19 12:50:51 UTC 2007

On Tue, 06 Feb 2007 18:10:03 -0900 Royce Williams wrote:

> cperciva told me recently that he could start building the patches for
> freebsd-update for sparc64 today -- if he had access to a Sun with
> enough oomph to buildworld in under an hour.

Is there such a thing? AFAIK FreeBSD (as any on the BSDs) currently only
support UltraSPARC I and II processors which means no more than 450MHz.
You would need quite a few of those to reach that goal, although I doubt
that it could really be done at all just by using more processors as the
building of the world partially has to be done step by step. You can't
just start anywhere, some things have to be finished before others can
be done.

> Is anyone interested in tracking buildworld times for various FreeBSD
> versions and architectures?  Now that wiki.FreeBSD.org is in
> production, maybe it could go there -- or we could keep it elsewhere.

Well, I'll let you decide where to put the first few benchmarks. :-)

I got this on my system with '/usr/bin/time -h':
2h58m19.87s real  4h53m45.89s user  47m42.77s sys

The command was 'make -j 4 buildworld'. Compiler flags were the default.

The system is a U60 with 2 450MHz UltraSPARC II processors (no 'e' or
'i'), 2GB of mem and two 73GB Seagate Cheetah HDs with /usr and /usr/obj
mounted on different physical drives.

Regards
Chris