Netbooting Sparc64

Didrik Madheden didrik at kth.se
Sat Apr 21 23:38:25 UTC 2007

I have a Sparc64 (SunBlade 100 to be precise) which I have some
problems booting. I got it from my university when they upgraded, so
there could possibly be something fishy with the boot settings. (Even
though I doubt that's the true problem)
I've tried burning a bootable FBSD (6.2 as well as 7.0) disc, which
the computer does not at all react to, even when doing [break], boot
cd.
So my hope now (and the question this mail is about) is to netboot the
sparc, and do the install that way. To my aid I have a working i386
FBSD 6.2 box.
The one thing that I'm really missing now is the necessary bootstrap
to initiate the install process. I've found one out-of-date guide with
a non-working link to a bootstrap.
Generally I feel that there's a lack of consistent documentation on
the subject. I've googled to best of my abilities, but I'm not
satisfied. A push in the right direction, or possibly attention from
people who have successfully netbooted their Sparcs would be
appreciated.

I'm also unsure whether my router forwards RARP packages. It's a
broadband modem/router called SpeedTouch 780, software version
6.1.9.6, if that's of any help to anyone. (I could also buy a twisted
pair cable to eliminate that possible error source, but I'd rather not
since I usually only access it over SSH, and I'd need to move a screen
to another room to use it.) All in all, the router problem is probably
minor, and I'll now when the time comes.

/Didrik Madheden

-----BEGIN 2ROT13 MESSAGE-----
Low Bitrate Netlabel: <http://f-label.tojt.net/>
Electronic music forum:
<http://oxo-unlimited.com/forums>
Sätt på ett par flipflops, vippa på rumpan
och gör det här till en minnesvärd sommar!
-----END 2ROT13 MESSAGE-----