Terrible hme throughput

Frank Jahnke jahnke at sonatabio.com
Wed Sep 27 13:52:25 PDT 2006

On Wed, 2006-09-27 at 16:40 -0400, Lucas Holt wrote:

> >> A few suggestions come to mind.  Try another protocol and see what
> >> type of transfer speeds you get.
> >
> > It there one you might suggest?
>
> You could always try ftp.  In my experience its much faster than sftp
> although not secure.  Just to test it might be interesting.

That would be the usual candidate; I'll have to enable it and then try
it.  This is all using computers behind a firewall that are inaccessible
from the Internet.  So security is of no concern for these tests.

> > It is a SCSI drive using 20MB/s transfers at the controller.  It has
> > been tested and it works properly (about 15MB/s speeds).  Though not
> > fast, that should be plenty for a 100Mb/s network (typo in original
> > post).

> I'll get my sparc out later and do a little testing.

I'd appreciate that.  Mine is not a Sun (it was made by Tritec) but any
low-end SPARC of the era ought to do.  Even if it is an Ultra 5 with the
slow IDE controller.  I just can't see the controller making the big
difference for this application.

I would also appreciate it if you would copy the list so we can keep the
thread in tact.