type 5 kbd/mouse woes

mdh lists mdh_lists at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 7 11:00:12 PST 2006

The Xorg drivers you'll need are listed in one of my
previous responses to the list, do a quick archive
search to find example config, etc.  As for kernel
drivers to support a basic type5 setup, you should
only need uart, puc, kbd, and sunkbd.  These will be
included in the kernel via the device entries for puc,
uart, and the general console stuff you need (depends
which console you're going for, though with the
creator device and syscons I've gotten the same kind
of performance I'm used to from FreeBSD - which is
good.) :-)

puc allows demultiplexing on the uart serial port,
which is how the Sun pre-USB keyboard/mouse stuff
worked.  The keyboard is connected directly to the
host, and then the mouse to the keyboard, usually all
connected to puc1.  To give you some idea, here's the
dmesg output on an Ultra1 box.

uart0: <z8530, channel A> on puc0
uart1: <z8530, channel B> on puc0
uart2: <z8530, channel A> on puc1
uart2: keyboard (1200,n,8,1)
uart3: <z8530, channel B> on puc1

As you can see puc0 is the actual physical serial
ports on the system (uart0 and uart1), and puc1 is the
keyboard/mouse port, which uart2 is the keyboard and
uart3 is the mouse.  Enjoy!