NFS install writability on Netra t1 105

Nicholas Riley njriley at uiuc.edu
Tue Jan 3 07:24:04 PST 2006

On Tue, Jan 03, 2006 at 08:37:46AM -0600, Nicholas Riley wrote:
> From looking at boot/loader.conf on the CD, it looks like I'm supposed
> to get a MFS root, but instead I get a (read-only) NFS root.  During
> boot I do see this line:
>
>   md0: Preloaded image </boot/mfsroot> 4194304 bytes at 0xc056435
>
> and I was able to mount /dev/md0 after startup, but I can't figure out
> how to get it to be used as a root device.

I tried copying over the corresponding portions of the mfsroot to the
CD-ROM, changing the NFS mount to read-write, and configuring the
network manually, but sysinstall then tries to install on /, as if I
were running it on an installed system.  How do I get it to realize
that I'm doing an initial install, and to mount the target media
somewhere else?

I've seen several reports of people actually using the FreeBSD
installer on sparc64 (albeit in 5.x versions); is it supposed to work
still?

Thanks,

--
Nicholas Riley <njriley at uiuc.edu> | <http://www.uiuc.edu/ph/www/njriley>