Fail to install 5.3 on Netra t1

Ken Smith kensmith at cse.Buffalo.EDU
Thu Sep 16 06:18:38 PDT 2004

On Thu, Sep 16, 2004 at 04:10:45PM +0800, kinux wrote:
> hi,
>
> I am try to install 5.3-Beta4 on a Netra t1 105, while i try to boot from cdrom with the bootonly disc, it reported file kernel/unix not found, what's the problem.  Thanks.
>
> ok boot cdrom
> Resetting ...
>

> screen not found.
> keyboard not found.
> Keyboard not present.  Using ttya for input and output.
>
> Netra t1 (UltraSPARC-IIi 440MHz), No Keyboard
> OpenBoot 3.10.25 ME, 256 MB memory installed, Serial #12748404.
> Ethernet address 8:0:20:c2:86:74, Host ID: 80c28674.
>

> Executing last command: boot cdrom
> Boot device: /pci at 1f,0/pci at 1/pci at 1/ide at e/cdrom at 2:f  File and args:
> kernel/unix
>
> >> FreeBSD/sparc64 boot block
>    Boot path:   /pci at 1f,0/pci at 1/pci at 1/ide at e/cdrom at 2,0:f
>    Boot loader: kernel/unix
> File kernel/unix not found
> Program terminated
> ok

To be honest I've never tested a bootonly CD since inheriting the
sparc64 builds, I have been assuming they couldn't be used to do
an install from and were just for 'rescue' operations.

I'll look into why it's trying to boot the wrong thing and I'll
do a test of a bootonly CD to make it functional but in the meantime
I'd suggest you switch to using a miniinst CD for the install.  Even
when this problem with it booting the wrong kernel gets fixed I don't
think you can use the bootonly CD for doing an install with.

--
						Ken Smith
- From there to here, from here to      |       kensmith at cse.buffalo.edu
  there, funny things are everywhere.   |