5.3 on ultra1E: scsi disk not detected

mk at capri.pl mk at capri.pl
Sun Nov 28 03:47:17 PST 2004

> I think this is where people gets confused.
> AFAIK, the only difference between Ultra 1 and Ultra 1 Enterprise
> (should this be "Ultra Enterprise 1"?) is that the Enterprise model has
> faster networking.
>
> But the Ultra 1E (don't really know what the 'E' means, but it is NOT
> Enterprise) is different; it has a UPA slot (useful for frame buffers
> like the Creator series) and a different SCSI controller (Fast/Wide
> instead of "just" Fast).
>
> Right now I can't find the URL where I got this information from.
> Somebody with better knowledge; please correct any errors.

Sun has a lot of information on it's web pages.
U1:  http://sunsolve.sun.com/handbook_pub/Systems/Ultra_1/Ultra_1.html
U1E: http://sunsolve.sun.com/handbook_pub/Systems/Ultra_1E/Ultra_1E.html

You can tell U1 from U1E looking at system board part number,
there are also slight differences in component layout,
or by backplate - U1 has 50pin SCSI connector, U1E has 68pin SCSI,
U1 has DB15 MAU Ethernet connector, U1E has MII connector. Details:
U1:  http://sunsolve.sun.com/handbook_pub/Devices/System_Board/SYSBD_Ultra1_140.html
U1E: http://sunsolve.sun.com/handbook_pub/Devices/System_Board/SYSBD_Ultra1_140E.html

Best regards,

--