IT! WORKS!

Scott Long scottl at freebsd.org
Wed Jun 16 04:02:52 GMT 2004

Mykel wrote:
> Ken Smith wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Jun 15, 2004 at 11:38:08PM -0400, Mykel wrote:
>>

>>> w00t!
>>>
>>> I have the June 14th snapshot installed and running on my Ultra2!
>>>
>>> Aside from HORRIBLE terminal issues (ncurses is allergic to the
>>> console, also, you can only type at about 1CPS, everything else gets
>>> dropped)
>>>
>>> but
>>>
>>> IT WORKS!
>>>
>>> $ uname -a
>>> FreeBSD phoebus.condor.lan SNAP-20040612 FreeBSD SNAP-20040612 #0:
>>> Mon Jun 14 07:25:37 UTC 2004
>>> root at bobbi.cse.buffalo.edu:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  sparc64
>>>

>> Yay!  :-)
>>
>> FYI - I'm going to do another snapshot.  Scott reported there was
>> more fixed recently than just tagged transfers.
>>
>> Serial port is still the best way to do an install, that's on the
>> todo list... :-)
>>

> Well, you see - I /had/ thought of that, but you must understand... what
> I have on my desk:
> -> Centrino laptop (Slackware) with no RS232 ports
> -> $CLIENT's PC/router/server/paperweight
> -> Toshiba T1200 laptop
>
> Yes... T1200 - an XT, (it's only 5 or 6 years younger than me) running
> MSDOs 6.22 and ProCOMM+, the only problem is - the screen is too small
> for any reasonable terminal, so it's just a mess.

Man, flash back to 1986!  My first pc experience was a T1000.  I would
have killed for a T1200 back then ;-)

> So I just bit the bullet, reboot serveral times before deciding VT100
> mode would be the best on the console.
>
> Now how about the console? how can I make typing at least practical on
> here? I was hoping to use this as a desktop machine.

As I mentioned in my other email, you might try adjusting the serial
port speed.  Just a guess though.  I bootstrapped my machine by
netbooting it and then manually paritioning the disk and doing an
installworld into it.

> Also - can I just CVSup from my local mirror or is that different on
> Sparc64? And X - how do I get that going? Just follow the handbook?

cvsup works just as it does on x86.  X requires syscons (or pvct, but
that doesn't work on sparc64).  syscons + creator appears to somewhat
work for me, but it requires uart(4) for the keyboard.  Again, uart(4)
locks up my U2 as soon as interrupts are enabled, so it's not really an
option.

Scott