SBus/EBus auxio driver

Pyun YongHyeon yongari at kt-is.co.kr
Mon Jul 12 01:55:34 PDT 2004

On Mon, Jul 12, 2004 at 10:17:00AM +0200, Joerg Wunsch wrote:
 > As Pyun YongHyeon wrote:
 >
 > > This is an auxio driver for SBus/EBus based sparc64 systems.
 > > The driver controls front panel LED. By setting an OID
 > > "machdep.auxio_led_blink" with sysctl(8), the LED is made to
 > > blink based on system load average.
 >
 > I once wrote my own auxio driver, basically as a first attempt to get
 > acquainted to FreeBSD/sparc64 drivers at all, since <auxio> is really
 > a fairly simple hardware to handle.
 >
 > Now that I've noticed FreeBSD's led(4) driver, I think it would be
 > done better by registering a led instance on auxio, as opposed to
 > hardcoding some functionality into the driver.

Yes, LED itself is very simple. But, as you know, there are other
auxio ports are defined in PCI address space.(SBus has a just one
auxio, LED.) I can't find available documentation for these I/O ports.

 > Anyway, my (currently stalled) attempts to access all the I²C hardware
 > using a pcf(4) instance of SUNW,envctrl made me dismiss the idea of an
 > auxio driver: while auxio can only drive one out of the six LEDs on
 > the front panel of my E450, the I²C-controlled parallel port could
 > drive all of them.  All the remaining ports assigned to <auxio> are
 > quite uninteresting anyway.

It seems that led(4) is for user-land applications and just for LED
only. I guess additional coding for auxio(4) is possible if I can get
more documentation. Don't know the existence of iicbus(4), atm.
Ultra2 doesn't have it.

 > --
 > J"org Wunsch					       Unix support engineer
 > joerg_wunsch at interface-systems.de        http://www.interface-systems.de/~j/

Regards,
Pyun YongHyeon
--