FreeBSD sparc, can't boot

Stephane Bortzmeyer bortzmeyer at nic.fr
Sat Feb 7 06:05:49 PST 2004

On Sat, Feb 07, 2004 at 01:56:47PM +0000,
 Jorge Silva <j.silva at IEEE.org> wrote
 a message of 36 lines which said:

> I'm trying to install FreeBSD 5.2R on an Ultra10 with 2 IDE disks.

I installed the same version on the same machine (only one IDE disk)
yesterday and it worked.

> When I try to boot from the "bootonly" CD ( with "boot cdrom" on the OB prompt

I used it also. Is it an ISO image that you downloaded and burned or a
CD someone gave you?

> Can't read disk label.
> Can't open disk label package.
> Fast Data Access MMU Miss

I'm almost sure that the CD is corrupted or the drive is dead.

If the drive works fine with Solaris, I suggest to download an ISO
image, check it has been properly downloaded and burn it with utmost
precautions (slow speed, clean drive, etc).