getty on the serial console

Peter Larkowski peter at larkowski.net
Tue Sep 30 16:59:02 PDT 2003

Hi again,

I never managed to get the 5.1 cd booted successfully on my ultra AXe,
but I did do a buildworld to RELENG_5_1 from 9-28.  After the upgrade,
the machine boots to the end of the kernel messages *mounting root from
/dev/da0a", and then I got "PID ?? (fsck_ufs) exited on signal 8"
twice, and then nothing more on the serial console.  THe machine
continued booting normally (I assume anyway, as I could log in via ssh).

After a subsequent buildworld, buildkernel, install everything,
mergemaster, etc, to CURRENT from 9-29, I get all the startup messages
(ssh, sendmail, etc) until the login prompt.  The last thing printed is
the date.  Again, everything else is fine.  getty is running.

Any ideas why I don't have login prompt on the serial console?

-p