partly solved - 5.1-RELEASE - - fdisk - bsdlabel - vinum

John-Mark Gurney gurney_j at efn.org
Thu Jun 12 23:48:12 PDT 2003

vezku at surfeu.fi wrote this message on Fri, Jun 13, 2003 at 09:21 +0300:
> BTW, it would be wise to mention this partition/label issue somewhere in
> the release document. As far as I get it sysinstall is the only way to
> create partitions on sparc64? Why is fdisk missing? Or am I just dumb,
> which is possible too. :-)

fdisk is a wart from x86...  Since we are on sparcs, we do it sun's way
which is to just stick a disklabel at the front of the disk.

> And the promised document is available at:
> http://vesku.sdf-eu.org/txt/vinum.txt
>
> Thanks for all the hard work on sparc64 port. I can't help on programming,
> but in testing. I will have an extra SUN 250E available soon. Not the
> latest SUN box, but better than nothing.

Could you test my recent pci/dae pair of patches I posted?  If you
didn't see them, they are at:
http://people.FreeBSD.org/~jmg/pci.mfdev.patch
http://people.FreeBSD.org/~jmg/sparc.dae.patch

This makes the attaching of PCI devices more robust on the Sparc.

--
  John-Mark Gurney				Voice: +1 415 225 5579