Sun Netra T1 AC200 - practical questions

Doug White dwhite at gumbysoft.com
Fri Dec 19 14:52:54 PST 2003

On Fri, 19 Dec 2003, Walter Hop wrote:

> Everybody seemed to use Sun-branded disks, so I take it FreeBSD will be
> fine with the disks that are in the machine. Does anyone know if FreeBSD
> also supports regular, non-Sun SCSI disks on the Sun controller?

SCSI is SCSI is SCSI. Sun branded disks ("branded" in that they have
firmware which fixes the size of the disk) are only important if you are
paying for support of the system, which you aren't. :-)

Be aware they need to be SCA to connect to the board, and you need the
standard Sun disk bracket thingys ("spuds") to mount them in the system.
You can just recycle the ones you have if you're ditching the existing
disks.

I haven't had reliability problems with Sun disks to speak of, so unless
you have money to burn, give the existing disks a shot.